Monday, July 03, 2006

Ruthie's Summer Reading

My Ruthie is so much like me when it comes to reading. Like me, she was one of the last in her class to learn to read. Also like me, once she learned, she quickly passed up everybody in reading ability. (I hope that encourages some of you who have children who are not learning to read as quickly as their peers.)

Once I learned, it took no encouragement to get me to read as a child. I have fond memories of days filled with Little House books, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, The Bobbsey Twins, and more.

The main difference in our reading habits is that I am actively encouraging her to read "good" books. (I still can't believe I had never heard of Anne of Green Gables until college!) The occasional "twaddle" makes its way into her reading, but I feel that as long as the majority of them are well-written books, she is doing fine.

Here is what she has read this summer (so far!).

The last 3 books were picture books that belonged to Griff when he was a child.

I will post Robert's reading list for the summer later.

NOTE: In case you're wondering, Ruthie is 8 years old.

No comments: