Once I learned, it took no encouragement to get me to read as a child. I have fond memories of days filled with Little House books, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, The Bobbsey Twins, and more.
The main difference in our reading habits is that I am actively encouraging her to read "good" books. (I still can't believe I had never heard of Anne of Green Gables until college!) The occasional "twaddle" makes its way into her reading, but I feel that as long as the majority of them are well-written books, she is doing fine.
Here is what she has read this summer (so far!).
- Redwall by Brian Jacques
- Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques
- The Reluctant Dragon by Kenneth Grahame
- The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman
- Howliday Inn by James Howe
- Babe: the Gallant Pig by Dick King-Smith
- The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
- Elmer and the Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
- Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
- Me and My Flying Machine
- Miss Twiggley's Tree
I will post Robert's reading list for the summer later.
NOTE: In case you're wondering, Ruthie is 8 years old.