Ruthie was my surprise gift from God. After trying for 2 years to get pregnant the first time, you can imagine my surprise when I turned up pregnant when Robert was only 8 months old. I was in shock and denial for the first part of my pregnancy, but God knew what I didn't. Ruthie would be a joy and the blessing I was not smart enough to ask for. I thought I would share some things about her. I could go on and on, but I will choose 8 things, because she is 8 years old.
1. She loves to draw. And I mean LOVES to draw. She goes through stacks and stacks of paper. I started buying her spiral-bound drawing pads just so I would stop finding pieces of paper all over the floor.
2. She has a very dry sense of humor. She writes comics and some of them have her father and I rolling in laughter.
3. She has my mother's blue eyes.
4. She is tall for her age. If you do the "double your height at age 2" thing, she is going to be six feet tall. I don't think she'll quite reach that height, but she is going to far surpass my 5'3" self.
5. She always cries when reading sad books or seeing sad movies.
6. She loves dogs and wants one desperately. So far we've resisted, but I'm sure we'll give in some day.
7. She is very open. She often comes to me and say, "Can we talk?" We'll go off alone somewhere together and she'll share a concern or question with me. Sometimes it's as simple as wanting permission to watch a particular TV show. Other times it's a problem she's having with a friend or even with me. I hope she never stops doing this.
8. She's smart and she asks the hard questions. Her teachers at church are always telling me about the questions she asks them, putting them on the spot. She definitely keeps us on our toes!
I could indeed go on, but I said 8, so I'll stop.
Thank you, God, for giving me my Ruthie. I love you, sweetie!