Friday, November 30, 2007

Weekly Report - November 12-30

I haven't done a weekly report for a few weeks, so I'm covering everything we've done during that time. Last week was very light because of Thanksgiving.

GRAMMAR

CLE Language Arts arrived and we have started. We just finished the first quiz and it's going pretty well.

READING

Lots and lots of books about the middle ages were read. We have studied castles and knights the last couple of weeks and the kids are really enjoying it. They've been disinterested in the middle ages up to this point.

Ruth is also reading the Chronicles of Narnia. She read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe previously, but the others shown have been within the past couple of weeks. Robert has finally finished Lad: A Dog. I asked him if he finally liked it at the end, but he said that he's liked it since the beginning. So why did it take him a full month to finish the book?!



HISTORY

We read about William the Conqueror this week. I wanted to share Robert's notebook page. He is learning chess now, and since it had its beginning in the middle ages, his picture is a chess "battle scene". (We are working on the writing portion. Robert gives very good oral narrations, but struggles with written .)


MEMORY

We're working on the poem The Arrow and the Song by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. I really like this poem, and the kids recognized the first couple of lines from a Foxtrot cartoon. Now, how's that for cultural relevance? LOL (please excuse how crooked this is - I just could not get it to scan straight)

SCIENCE

It's taken awhile, but we've finally finished up our sea turtles chapter. I thought we'd never get those last things finished! Kids made sea turtles and sea snakes for the ocean box. I promise the next pictures will show them actually in the box!


BIBLE

I am putting aside our regular Bible curriculum for a study of Christmas. We are doing a Jesse tree for the first time. In an effort to keep it simple (to make sure it gets done!) and inexpensive, we are using the scriptures and ornaments found here. I also found an excellent overview of Jesse trees here.

Coming up:

We will return to our study of Latin and do better with our composer and picture study. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had a great week! I need to get motivated to start the "Weekly Report". I love seeing what everyone is doing. Have a great weekend!

Blessings, Darcy in FL

Tina in WA said...

A lot was done over the last few weeks at your place.

Thanks for the link for the ornaments for the Jesse Tree.

Blessings~

Tina in WA

Cellista said...

I like the chess battle scene! It looks like a fun time. I'm looking forward to studying knights and castles and stuff. We're reading Narnia too at the moment.

Thanks for visiting my blog, I really do love the snow and am so glad we live where we have seasons.

Kristiana