Friday, September 05, 2008

Notebooking

One thing I'm trying to emphasize this year is notebooking. We've done simple notebook pages in the past, but I wanted to add some pizzazz to it this year. The kids don't enjoy subject-specific hands-on projects, so I thought this might add a bit of fun and creativity to our days.

I got most of my ideas from the blog Ambleside Classical. She has some wonderful ideas and instructions for notebooking.

We are using the software Creating Keepsakes Scrapbook Designer as our basis. We either use it for paper and designs that we then cut and glue, or we do all the work with the software. I'm still learning how to use the software, so I expect their pages will only get better as I find more and more to do with it.

This is Ruthie's first page. The "journalling" is from her IEW writing assignment. The background paper and title are from the CK software. We got the pictures off the internet.

We printed everything separately, then cut and pasted it together. We learned that if we're going to do this, we need to use cardstock for the background paper. I also think using scrapbook adhesive would be better. The glue warped the pages even though we used the gel glue that's not supposed to do that.

I had to really encourage Ruthie to do this, but she enjoyed it in the end.

Robert's first page was about George Washington. Along with his writing assignment, we used a picture of Washington from Homeschool in the Woods' Time Travelers CD. I am using selected items from this study to supplement what Robert is learning. I also made out an information sheet for him to fill out on all the presidents. I hope to have a page for each president studied.

We printed the background on cardstock. The title is part of the background as well. See, we're learning!

Robert was not as much of a participant in this as I wanted, but he did give me his opinions, and put it all together. I figure we have to start somewhere.


This is Ruthie's page from today. It was made completely with the CK software. She chose the title because it the letters hop like kangaroos. The picture is from wikipedia.

Ruthie did most of the work on this page herself and is very happy with how it turned out.

Robert really enjoyed making his most recent page. As soon as he saw this title option, he said, "Star Wars!" and I knew he was hooked.

While we worked on this together, he said, "I wish I could do this all by myself." So do I, son, and that is the goal.

I've been trying to think of something to add to our school days, something the kids will really look forward to. I hope this is it. It's fun, creative, and will leave them with a wonderful book at the end of the year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic! You've found something to capture their interest! :-) I love it when that happens! Great notebooking pages.

Megan said...

Hey Rhonda - I've got two magazines coming your way. I need you to email me and tell me where to send them.

Congrats!

Tami, full-time mom; part-time foodie said...

Hi Rhonda!

Your notebooking pages look awesome! Isn't the software fun and easy to use, once you get the hang of it. I'm honored to have been any small help, and look forward to visiting YOUR blog for ideas!

Blessings,
Tami