Thursday, August 11, 2005

First Day of School

School has officially started. Summer is over. I can feel my stress level rising already.

Robert did not want school to start. He never does. We were waiting in the cafeteria with all the other kids, when he walked up to Griff and buried his head in his side. I could see the tension in him. School is so hard for him! The expectations (of us and the school), the noise, the social interaction... the whole day. I am hoping and praying that this is a good year. I had forgotten how much of my day is spent wondering how he is doing. Will his teacher understand him? Will the other kids be tolerant? Will he know that we love him, no matter what? Will he try his best to handle his frustrations, or at least find an appropriate way to communicate them before they reach the boil-over point? The report today was okay. I think his teacher was pretty satisfied with how it went, considering it was the first day.

Ruthie, of course, was raring to go! That girl loves, loves school. She did have a bit of nerves and complained of an upset stomach, but as soon as she saw a friend, she was fine. She was excited to tell me at the end of the day that their class already has 3 compliments. She was also enthusiastic about her Spanish homework. She is such a joy, and I'm afraid her good behavior and enthusiasm often get overlooked because of our attention on Robert. Definitely something to work on...

I pray that this is a wonderful, positive year for both of my children.


No comments: