Sunday, September 04, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

The whole country, and a lot of the world, has been watching the coverage of Hurricane Katrina. Even I, who seldom watch the news and miss out on many major events in an effort to protect my children, have been glued to the TV.

I remember watching last Sunday when people were lining up to get into the Superdome. The news reporter was talking to a woman who was in line with her two children. She said they didn't have the means to leave town and were going to ride out the hurricane in the Superdome. At the time, I thought nothing of it. Like most everyone else, I had no idea what was to come. Over the past week, I have thought of that woman and her children. Are they okay? Where are they now? What will happen to them? I pray that they are safe and sound.

There have been so many horrible stories from this storm. Some of them will haunt me for the rest of my life (and remind me why I don't watch the news). Others, though, have been wonderful. Watching people welcome these evacuees into their cities with open arms has been inspiring. Living here in Houston, I am so proud of my hometown and all that we are doing. There are so many opportunities to give, that it is at time overwhelming trying to decide what we will do.

These survivors of this, the worst natural disaster in the history of our great country, have a long road in front of them. I pray that they will know that God's loving arms are around them and that He is always there for them.

No comments: