Hurricane Rita is heading our way. We've made the decision to stay, but it hasn't been an easy one. I've second guessed myself all week until today. What made the difference? Watching the news coverage of the gridlocked traffic on the evacuation routes. If we left, we'd be heading to Griff's family in Dallas, but I-45 is a mess and has been since yesterday. People are running out of gas and there is very little gas available. Cars are overheating. There have actually been fights witnessed between motorists alongside the roads. Tempers are short. All of this adds up to a situation I do not want to expose my family to.
We now have houseguests. My dad, my brother, and his girlfriend arrived from Deer Park this morning. (It took them 3 hours to make what is typically a 45 minute trip.) They were in the storm surge area, so it was absolutely necessary for them to leave. With guests coming, I went to the store this morning and found bottled water, so I bought another 6 cases on top of the 3 we already had. I had not been able to find bread, but they did have some, so I bought a few loaves. Unfortunately, they still didn't have ice, and I doubt they will. I have frozen empty milk jugs full of water, so hopefully that will help keep our refrigerated items cool if/when we lose power. I also bought charcoal so we can grill once the storm is over.
I will update my blog when I can, but I expect we will lose power some time Friday night and may not have it again for awhile.
Keep us and all the people in the path of this hurricane in your prayers. While we don't want this storm to hit Houston, I also would not wish it on anyone else.
Phil 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.