Thursday, September 08, 2005

I Miss My Mom

Something happened today that reminded me of a story my mom used to tell about when I was a child. I was a very, shall we say, adventurous, child. I was always climbing on things. One day, when I was about 2 years old, I got her Chanel No. 5 off the bathroom counter and poured it down the sink. My mom loved Chanel No. 5. As a working mother of 4 children, it was one of her few luxuries. She bought another bottle and put it on a shelf above her bathroom counter. I climbed on top of the counter, got the bottle, and, you guessed it, poured it down the sink. Mom didn't get any Chanel No. 5 for a long time after that. She told that story many times over the years and we always laughed about it.

I always planned on buying her a bottle of Chanel No. 5. I never did. I can't tell you how much I regret that simple thing. I called my sister and talked to her about it. She said, "Rhonda, Mom got more enjoyment out of telling that story than she would a new bottle of perfume." True. However, I know she would have loved it. We would have laughed about my childhood escapades. It would have been a good thing. It's too late now to do that and all the things I wanted to do with and for her.

I know I will see her again in Heaven someday, but I want her here with me. Now.

If you have something you've always wanted to do for or say to a loved one, don't wait. Do it. Now.

1 comment:

Sprittibee said...

*hugs* :)